Learn How to Whitewater Kayak!
Outdoor Chattanooga teaches adults and kids ages 8 and older the kayak skills needed to safely and confidently paddle whitewater streams. From your first Rapid Learning skills development class to your first Class III run, Outdoor Chattanooga’s American Canoe Association certified staff will be right beside you offering instruction and encouragement.
Whitewater Kayak Skills Development Classes
Join our skills development classes at anytime; no experience, reservations, or equipment required. Your first visit is free!
Skills classes are designed for beginners to learn correct and safe paddling techniques in the calm waters of the lake or pool.
Summer Schedule (May-September)
Two sessions offered every Wednesday, 6-7 and 7-8 p.m.
Chester Frost County Park Hixson, TN
Winter Schedule (November-April)
Sessions offered monthly on Tuesdays, 7-9 PM
Hulsey Wellness Center Indoor Pool, Southern Adventist University
2017-2018 Winter Dates:
November 7, December 5, February 6, March 6, April 3
Bonus Winter Dates for Rapid Learning Members Only:
Thursday, November 16
Thursday, January 18
Wednesday, March 7
***Contact us for info and details!
- How to adjust a kayak and PFD (Personal Floatation Device) to comfortably fit you
- Beginner to intermediate paddle strokes, braces and maneuvers to keep your kayak upright, and in the direction you want it to go
- Self rescue skills: wet exit, buddy rescues, boat over boat emptying techniques, wet re-entry, and a variety of kayak rolls
- Flat water kayak skills preparation for a whitewater (or flat water) environment
- To get wet: bring a change of clothes and a towel
- All participants must be able to get in and out of a kayak on land
- Ability to swim is a plus, though not necessary
- A set of good noseplugs will make learning more comforable
- The first visit to Rapid Learning is free. After that, participants must join the program.
- All participants must sign a waiver of liability.
- Underage participants must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- No alcohol, tobacco, firearms or inappropriate behavior.
- Participants with their own gear (kayak, paddle, pfd, skirt) may participate for a $10 daily membership fee.
Rapid Learning Annual Membership
After your first free session, you can continue with instruction and learning the skills necessary to whitewater kayak with an annual membership.
$75 per individual
$125 per family
*Price includes access to kayak equipment and instruction at all roll clinics and skills practice sessions year round, plus discounted instructional river trips.
Whitewater Kayaking Instructional River Trips
Put your paddling techniques learned in skills classes to use on moving current during instructional river trips. With emphasis on boat control, you’ll practice catching eddies, cross river ferrying, reading the water, and developing river awareness. Our experienced guides will be right there with you to encourage and instruct as you test and hone your whitewater skills on the river.
Attendance of at least one skills development course is mandatory before participating in an instructional river trip. Reservations and payment are required in advance.
For More Information
Call (423) 643-6888
Like our Rapid Learning Facebook Page for updated info about classes, trips, and weather cancellations.